A Call to Celebrate CHRISTmas
By Monica Kirtz
2020 has certainly been a different and challenging year, but that is not the reason for this article. Over the past several years, my heart has been heavy over our celebration of CHRISTmas. As we all know, it has become about anything and everything other than JESUS and His birthday. Personally, I have struggled with what it would “look like” to focus more on Him during this season. This is not a condemnation of family traditions or gifts or activities…but a call to truly celebrate CHRIST. As I have been praying about this and asking GOD what He wants me to do and how to do it, I heard a recent episode of Focus on the Family. The speaker mentioned how birthdays celebrate people…so CHRISTmas should celebrate JESUS. That spoke directly to my heart and gave me the answer I was looking for…this is a real need, and The LORD had spoken to this woman as well. She said her family still has gifts and fun and also, they have a birthday party for JESUS. Many of you may already do this, but if you don’t, let me encourage you to try it!
As I was pondering all of this, one of my piano students, who is only 7 years old, said something remarkable! We were talking about CHRISTmas being a celebration of the birth of JESUS. She said we should get a balloon and release it into the sky… and even had the idea of tying a note to it!
Here are several suggestions to celebrate the true meaning of CHRISTmas:
- Plan a birthday celebration for JESUS. Be creative. Ask The LORD to guide you and give you ideas. Great memories will be created and passed down to children. They will never forget it!
- Make your own CHRISTmas gift tags that say, “Please accept this gift in honor of JESUS’ birthday.”
- Give money to the Gideons in honor of JESUS’ birthday. They have a “Happy Birthday, JESUS” celebration every year and place Bibles in many locations. This is a wonderful way to spread The Gospel! Start collecting change in a jar all through the year and use the money to purchase Bibles. The Bibles only cost $5 each. A jar full of change can purchase a lot of Bibles for the glory of The LORD!
- Tie notes to balloons and release them on CHRISTmas day or during the week of CHRISTmas.
- Make cards for residents in nursing homes or rest homes or for prison inmates.
- Give a gift to someone who cannot give you one in return.
- Find a needy family and do something special for them. For example, give them a gift card, take groceries to them, or meet a need. JESUS said in Matthew 25 that when we are kind to others, it is as if we are doing it to Him!
Let’s make CHRISTmas 2020 a true celebration of the birth of CHRIST. Put Him first in your home and your heart. Enjoy time with family and friends. May this be an extra special CHRISTmas!
Jason and Monica Henley-Kritz live in the beautiful mountains of Spruce Pine, North Carolina, nestled near the scenic Blue Ridge Parkway. Jason is the owner of Joyful Noise Vintage Audio & Electronics, where he repairs, rebuilds and restores vintage electronics. Monica is the owner of Monica’s Music Studio, where she teaches piano and music theory lessons. Jason and Monica were married in 2007, and they give GOD all the glory for any accomplishments in their lives.
Contact Monica with questions about the books or to order hard copies.
Phone: 1 828 765 8789 ( Leave a message )
Read more good Christian news from Monica HERE.