There are many opportunities to be involved this month!
- Tuesday, October 8: Join us at noon on October 8 at the Burnsville Public Library to continue planning for the Mitchell County Town Hall to take place in November. We have some exciting updates to share!
- Saturday, October 12: Mitchell County State of the Child is Saturday, Oct. 12 from 9am-3pm. Volunteers are needed to run the Task Force booth handing out free resources! Please let me know if you are available to help for any amount of time at this important event!
- Thursday, October 17: In partnership with Toe River Health District and Blue Ridge Regional, the Task Force is hosting “Getting to Results” workshop to learn the basic principles of Results-Based Accountability (RBA). The training will be hosted at the Mauzy Phillips Center in Spruce Pine on October 17 from 10am-3pm. Register TODAY as there are only a few seats remaining!
- Friday, October 18: First Baptist Church of Burnsville and the Task Force are partnering to host the 5th Quarter party after the Mitchell vs. Mountain Heritage football game for MHHS students. This event will provide young people with a safe, drug-free environment to gather together for a fun evening. By providing youth with such a safe atmosphere, we can help prevent substance use after the game and help young people discover ways to have fun without the use of substances. Help spread the word with the attached flyer! VOLUNTEERS ARE ALSO NEEDED! Please let me know if you can help with this event!
- October 21-25: Red Ribbon Week – the national drug and alcohol abuse awareness campaign – is coming this month to the middle and high schools! During the week of October 21st, Appalachian Youth to Youth will spread awareness to their peers about the dangers of substance use, there will be contests engaging students in substance use prevention and the Task Force is bringing national speaker Kevin Wanzerto address students across both counties.
I hope you will be involved this month!
Mitchell-Yancey Substance Abuse Task Force
a program of Partners Aligned Toward Health