By Steve Williams
Basketball season is almost here. One of the most important skills for players to have is the ability to rebound. Rebounds occur because a shot somewhere has been missed. There is no need for a rebound unless something has been missed. That means a shot was attempted, but somehow something went wrong when the shot was taken, therefore we need a rebound.
One reason a shot can be missed is that a player was off in their perspective. They were looking at the goal, but what they saw and what they did didn’t match. They may have shot too long, too hard, too soft.
Another reason that shots are missed in a basketball game is because the opposing team is in the player’s face. It’s the job of the opposing team to wave their hands in the shooter’s face and obstruct their view. They are trying to distract the other player so that he will miss the shot.
Sometimes shots are missed because players are fouled. A foul means that a player has been bumped into or touched, pushed, or tripped while trying to shoot the ball, making the shooter not able to make the shot.
Any coach will want their player to go for a rebound on their missed shot. The player shouldn’t walk off the court, quit the game, or throw in the towel because they have missed a shot. A good player will go back up for a ball and retrieve it to shoot it again.
In the Bible, there are lots of people who missed shots. Many of God’s servants missed their targets and had to deal with the consequences of their missed shots. In fact, a study of God’s Word shows us that many of the people God used were people who were on the rebound. We can’t and must not allow our failures and mistakes that happen in life to destroy us or dictate to us how we are to live our lives. God is a God of second chances, so get the rebound and shoot again.
Here are some ways to rebound when you miss the shot.
- Don’t Be A Turtle. When we miss a shot in life, we want to hide in our shells.
- Have a Regular Spiritual With God. This is the only way you will grow close to God.
- Break Bad Habits. Because bad habits will break you.
- Be Careful Who You Spend Your Time With. People can lead you astray.
- Be Careful How You Spend Your Money. You can find yourself in deep debt.
- Don’t Just React to Life. Do your best to learn from it.
- Don’t Just Talk About Your Setbacks. Talk about your future goals in life.
Words of Wisdom:
- The most important lesson to remember is that failure is inevitable, but so is success, so rebound. N/A
- Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle. N/A
- Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from a determined will. N/A
- I’ve always believed that if you put in the work, the results will come. Michael Jordan