By Bruce Cannon
“And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.” (Luke 2:10,11)
Merry CHRISTmas everyone! What a wonderful time of the year it is in the heart of every true believer. For on this occasion we celebrate the greatest gift ever given….JESUS! Gifts are exchanged, Christmas cards are sent, pleasantries are shared by one and all. And, it’s all because of a Baby Boy born 2000 years ago who has had a lasting effect upon people, circumstances, time, and so forth.
We love because He first loved us. We give because He gave the greatest gift. His gift was a perfect size – it fits everyone. His was a gift that was so desperately needed by all because we were lost in sin and had no way of helping ourselves. His gift will never wear out, never go out of style, and is one that makes such a wonderful change in the hearts of everyone who receives it! And, the very best part, is that this gift is FREE! Free to us; though it cost Him everything to give!
In a COVID-19, crazy and mixed-up world, let me share a few things this gift does for the one who receives it:
- It brings peace. Though problems may abound this gift speaks peace to the heart and tells us that God is in control and that we can trust Him to see us through every situation and difficulty.
- It brings strength. We literally can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth us. His power is poured out upon all those who will walk with Him.
- It brings hope. This world is not our home; we are just passing through. There is a better day coming all because of this tremendous gift.
- It brings joy. Joy, not the absence of problems, but the attitude of the heart who knows the love, grace, and mercy of the Lord.
- It brings help. What a great time it is when we realize we can’t handle life on our own, but don’t have to! He will always be there for us.
- It brings encouragement. He is constantly speaking to our hearts “Lo, it is I. Be not afraid.”
- It frees us up from the bondage of death. The wages of sin is death, but this gift provides eternal life through Jesus!
There are so many more things we could say about this gift, but you get the picture. This gift was desperately needed, completely undeserved, and such a blessing! I pray you have received it. If not, ask Him to come into your heart today. Tell Him you are sorry for your sin and that you accept His free gift. He will, as He has done for so many others, make such a difference in your life. Amen!
Merry Christmas from Wendy and me!
Reverend Bruce Cannon currently serves as the Senior Pastor of Bear Creek Baptist Church in Bakersville. Formerly he served as Director of Missions for the Bladen Baptist Association and he has served on the General Board of the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina.
You can read more Good Christian News from Pastor Cannon HERE.